Paleo Pumpkin Pie


paleo pie
Dec. 21, 2012       Over the past couple of months I’ve been looking at the Paleo Diet.  The grain free and dairy free diet is not too far a departure from what I have needed to follow for quite a while with the gluten free and lactose free restrictions.  Thinking about the Holidays, and the fact that I didn’t want to give up things like pumpkin pie, if I commit myself to the Paleo diet, spurred me to play around with this recipe. 
Updated- The following crust is superior to the original crust I created, so I wanted to share it.  The idea for using the coconut milk for the filling, came from Cassidy's Craveable Creations Paleo Pumpkin Pie.  Cassidy's take on the pumpkin pie is excellent also!  The canned coconut milk makes a richer, creamier filling and you cannot taste the coconut.  We enjoyed this pie topped with coconut whipped cream.  Yum!

The following Paleo Pumpkin goes together in just a few minutes (not counting the baking and the cooling.)

Paleo Pumpkin Pie

1-15 oz. canned pumpkin
½ cup dark honey or coconut sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves
2 eggs, beaten
1-cup unsweetened almond milk or canned coconut milk

Updated paleo crust- 
1 cup almond flour
1 cup arrowroot or tapioca
1/2 cup cold grass-fed butter, cut in chunks (butter is primal not paleo, ghee may work, but I haven't tried that yet, the quantity used would probably need to be adjusted)
1 egg 
1 tsp. dark honey
1/2 tsp. sea salt


Combine flour, salt and tapioca.  Cut in butter until rough sand-like texture is created.  Add egg and honey, mix until ball forms.  Put in refrigerator until firm, then roll out  using parchment paper, and put into a 9” pie pan.  Return pie pan to the refrigerator while making the filling.  
  
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  For filling, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. When oven is ready, pour the filling into the chilled crust.  Place foil or crust protector around edge of the pie to prevent burning on the crust. Place pie into oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until pie is set in the center, when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool at room temperature for at least one hour, then refrigerate.  Serve with whipped coconut cream, if desired.  Makes 8 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, I can just imagine that yummy crust! :) Each week I am amazed by the wonderful loyal bloggers that return each week to link up their yummy food and information! I am so happy that each week we have a few new bloggers that join our group!

    Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)
    I hope to see you again next week!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the creativity of my fellow bloggers. As always, thanks for pinning and tweeting my recipe.

    ReplyDelete